Owners Aimee Roberts and Marshall Brickeen founded the first Reveal Diagnostics office in San Francisco in 2011, initially as another 3D dental imaging center. We recognized the emerging need for cone beam (CBCT) in dentistry, especially with dental implants and planning endodontic treatment in 3D. We also recognized the prohibitive cost and software learning curve, and thought we found our niche as a modern 3D imaging center. True, there are a few other people doing the same thing. We thought we’d be similar in services to the rest but unique in the way we treat patients and doctors.
Then we got our feet wet… and learned a lot.
We quickly discovered
- many doctors who aren’t using 3D cone beam need to use it
- many doctors who are using 3D imaging don’t understand all of its uses
- many doctors want to learn more, but don’t know where to go
- many doctors are excellent clinicians but face challenges as business owners
- many patients arrive with one problem and the 3D image reveals more
- many patients don’t know why they’re getting 3D scans in the first place
- many patients experience unknown pain and don’t know where to go
- there doesn’t seem to be a 3D dental industry leader, standard, or consensus
We no longer wanted to be another dental imaging center; we wanted to be something a lot more. We wanted to help…
- help doctors learn to use 3D imaging for all diagnosis and treatment
- help doctors learn about related areas of care to better treat patients
- help doctors identify oral pain sources that lie outside the mouth
- help doctors learn everything they need to be successful, clinically and financially
- help patients understand their own anatomy and prescribed treatment
- help patients explain their overall health to their doctors
Really we wanted to help doctors better treat patients, and help patients improve their overall health and lives. This goes way past 3D scanning!
Reveal Diagnostics is now a growing chain of imaging centers and education facilities. We educate all of our referred patients on the spot after each scan, and we sincerely treat each patient as warmly and attentively as our referring doctors would.
We also provide in-office software and 3D viewing education to each of our doctors, as well as weekly study clubs on topics ranging from 3D treatment planning to marketing your practice on Facebook. We also have a large network of experienced doctors and specialists, including periodontists, endodontists, oral surgeons, chiropractors/craniologists, ENTs, myofunctional therapists, psychologists, acupuncturists, biomaterials scientists, and physicians of select specialties. These specialists will consult with any doctor on any case… for free.
We now have patients drive hours (some even fly!) to visit Reveal Diagnostics and search for the source of long-term, debilitating, miserable pain. Often it’s simply a lesion or fracture that is invisible to 2D x-ray technology. Frequently it’s sleep apnea or TMJ-related. Occasionally it’s a spinal problem that has manifested in other areas. Sometimes it’s a combination of several conditions. And then we have the exotic cases that our experienced specialists believe to be caused by mercury poisoning, cranial misalignment, tongue positioning, or several factors working in concert against the patient’s health. These FOCA diagnoses (Full Oral-Cranial Analyses) profoundly change patients’ lives for the better, and that in turn has enriched the lives of Reveal Diagnostics owners, Aimee and Marshall.
Aimee and Marshall have now re-created Reveal Diagnostics as a center dedicated to helping patients and doctors, and the cornerstone of that help is free education–in addition to high-quality 3D images and customized CBCT reports! (We are a business, too.) We do provide the best dental scans and most useful 3D x-ray reports in the Bay Area, and if you only need a cone beam image then we’re happy to help. If you need more, we’re honored to help more. Just let us know what we can do for you.